Thursday, June 24, 2010

ISLS Summer 2010 Day 3

It was a pleasure to meet each of you these last three days. Below you will find your blog prompts.

1. What were the most useful outcomes of the OSLN-ISLS teacher’s workshop?
2. How is this a good model (or not a good model) for introducing new teachers to
the inquiry based learning fostered by ISLS?
3. How is it a good model (or not a good model) for sustaining and reinvigorating
alumni teachers?
4. How can this model be improved?
5. What are the implications of the workshop for your students’ learning in the
future?
6. What impact has the workshop had on your approach to teaching?

1 comment:

  1. The workshop got most of us thinking in a different way in our approach to teaching science and other subjects which students must take in school.

    This model is good for new teachers. It gets one to think about 21st century learning skills and approaches that fosters that learning. It has been shown that active engagement solidifies learning.

    "Old" teachers can put a little more pep in their step. They don't have to do the same old thing the same old way. Putting more responsibility upon the students for their learning takes a load off the teachers. Teachers can be more creative at what they do.

    Seeing a need for improvement is going to take time. We must learn first what works and what doesn't work in order to make an assessment.

    First of all, I will have to revamp my teaching approach. I must take the time necessary to see how I can use technology in my teaching. The technology to use must be based upon learning objectives. The technology must reinforce student learning. And the technology must be real-world.

    As I have said previously, I have to re-think how I teach. I must be willing to put the time in to develop long-range goals of using inquiry with my students.

    ReplyDelete